Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blog #2: Computer Literacy

At my internship, we spend all day on our computers/laptops sending emails, making spreadsheets, answering phone calls, and tracking media impressions. One thing that I have noticed is the lack of computer literacy of those of us working in the office. I have realized the absolute imperative need for a computer course in school and/or integration into the job. Computers are not intuitive for everyone, and not everyone has a "self-starter" type of attitude to where they might call IT instead of trying to figure out the answer for themselves. We spend so much money on an IT guy to come in to our work to help us with issues that most likely would not occur if everyone was basic-trained in Apple computers and software programs. This first hand, on-site experience of the immense importance of computer literacy supports my decision to take as many computer courses as I can during my senior year. I am already signed up to take two for the fall, but in addition I am going to take advantage of the Annenberg workshops that teach us how to use various software programs. I think that even though everyone in the work force (in my industry) has a computer and email address, their level of literacy is not where it should be. I find myself helping people at work with computer questions and teaching them shortcuts that save precious time. I was excited to learn that the Apple store here in SoHo has an auditorium that has an ongoing schedule of classes that is open to the public on everything from basic training to advanced software usage. Hopefully before the end of the program I will be able to make it to a few of those classes and share what I have learned at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment