Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Blog #3

All the departments at Talent Resources fascinate me. I would love to be Carbon Copied or Blind Carbon Copied on every email sent in addition to having the time to read all of them. I think the department that interests me the most, probably because I know the least amount about it, i. Companies call that department all day every day saying how much they have to spend on a celebrity appearing at their event or holding their product. I think the dynamics of working in a department where relationships with celebrities and their publicists is key is really exciting to me. The problem is that there is so much going on in that department I barely get a chance to talk to anyone there to learn about what they do. The head of that division is Matt Kirschner and he is a genius. He is so good at what he does, I truly envy his passion and enthusiasm for his work everyday. Although very young, he makes huge deals and executes large events with precision. I have gotten to ask him a few questions after 6pm (end of the workday) when things aren’t AS crazy. I was able to ask him how he got to where he was today at Talent Resources and what advice he has for someone like me who is interested in working their way up in the company. He said what he did was he stalked Mike (our CEO/founder). He literally followed him everywhere, sat in on every meeting, paid close attention to how he spoke about the company, and studied him like a hawk. Through this “stalking” as he called it, he was able to take Mike’s style of talking and pitching to clients and make it his own. I also think that in this company (from personal experience) it is always ok for an intern to ask to sit in on a meeting or phone call to learn. The worst that could happen is they could say no, but the possibilities of things that could happen from being proactive are endless. I find that in this industry, people are so focused on the million things that they are doing, that they really cannot take time to hold an intern’s hand. I really like that though, I definitely feel like I never had training wheels and just figured everything out for myself. This is a very “self-starter” type company in the sense that I absolutely have the chance to leave a footprint behind me when I leave here. Most companies, interns come and go and they never are given any sort of freedom to change or give ideas. I will continue to ask Matt questions when I am able to tie him down and make him listen! I still want him to elaborate on advice he would give me in addition to telling me how he arrived at Talent Resources. s Celebrity Resources. Celebrity Resources, is where all the celebrity wrangling happens

No comments:

Post a Comment